Monday, May 11, 2009

Diamonds in the rough...

Geez! So much for blogging everyday.....

Ok ok, don't panic (especially you,Caz - leave it to the rainspiders to make you do your dance) ... I'm back I'm back!!!!

The last two weeks have been a bit of a mess for me. Now for those of you who actually know me well, you'll know me as someone who doesn't generally let her emotions get to her or rule her. This has not changed, but I am trying to get more in tune with my "so-typical-emotional-woman-side". We'll call her "Stews" from now on. Well yes, Stews does have the ability to piss me off chronically and I do want to slap her and tell her to pull herself together and stop being such a chick ... when I have to stop myself and say: 1. "Do I really want to be slapping myself?" (I mean really) and 2. "Oh wait ... I am a chick" (Can you sense all the feminists out there frothing at the mouth at that statement? Bwahahahaha).

"So whats been happening over the last two weeks?" I hear you ask. Brilliant question my learned friends. Well I'm not going to tell you.

...

Ok fine! I will! (Twist my rubber arm why don't you).

...

I am now officially a divorcee. I had to go to court on Monday 4 May. It was daunting. It was terrifying. It was nerve-wrecking. It was over so quickly. And it was not as glam as the wedding. I'll be honest I didn't quite know how to feel afterwards. It took a while to sink in. I had my wonderful support friend with me (thank you Tanya, you amazing woman) who took me for breakfast straight after ... she's also the one who came and had a drink with me the night before (wonder if I'm going to get it for drinking on a Sunday night - sacrilege!!!). That's what friends are for after all ... to help you in times of need and to be there for you no matter what. Ok friends like that are few and far between. So when you do find the odd gem in the diamond fields of life, hold on to it even if they threaten to blow your arm off with an AK-47 to get it from you (...and that arb thought was my tribute to all the blood diamonds out there). So anyhoo, the whole thing was over pretty quickly and without any hiccups. I'll be honest here ... its kind of like having to deal with a death in the family ... only difference is you still speak to and see the deceased. Of course if that were truly the case I'd probably be in Groen Dakkies right now, but I'm not talking about the ex being deceased ... I'm talking about the marriage. So now I'm going to grieve for the death of the marriage ... the closing of that chapter in my life. And I'm sure its going to take some time. But as they always say ... baby steps ... live one day at a time.

Through this whole thing I have realised who my true and trustworthy friends are. There have been many surprises in these discoveries. I've always known a lot of people, but few of those I could really call "true friend". There are a handful of people who have been there for me through thick and thin. Those trusted friends that might not have agreed with me, but have understood. The ones who haven't judged. The ones who have been totally great throughout. I can't imagine not having friends around me. Yes I have my moments of being an introvert (surprise surprise) and needing to "disappear" for periods of time to collect myself again, but I've always loved being around my true friends. Don't you just love it? You can sit around and not have to entertain them. You can burp and fart in front of them ... hell, they'll probably join in and you'll end up having a farting competition (which you will gracefully let them win as you grab your smelling salts?). These are the friends that know your dirty secrets (and that's not the skid marks in the undies from that unspeakable farting competition) and yet still love and adore you. These are the friends you can call at 3am and they'll haul their sleepy asses and Medusa styled hair out of their warm cozy beds in the dead of winter and come to your rescue. These guys deserve a medal, but they probably won't need it because you are enough of a medal anyway. And you can always pay your membership fees to that exclusive club off on some sort of payment plan (will that be straight or budget, Sir?).

So, *raises her glass of pink bubbles* ... here's to all the great friends that I have - the old and the new. You guys are phenomenal and you know who you are. Love you all dearly!

xxx
M

2 comments:

Skye said...

Aw, this post made me cry! I'm glad you have such good friends, especially at a time like this. I wish I was closer to you. I only know the basic back story, but I'm glad everything went smoothly in court and that's it's all done.

Meegyn said...

*hugs*

I wish you were closer too!!! Time to start organising a visit to SA soon :)