Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Joys.....

You guys have got to go check this out! My friend Anton (thanks Noonoobear) introduced me to this online comic a couple of months ago and I almost pee'd myself laughing while reading it! My favorite character has got to be Richard ... yes he would so get my dark sense of humor! He's friggen hilarious!

www.lfgcomic.com

Just follow the link and go to the archives ... now please ladies and gents, do me a huge favor and don't just read the latest page ... you have to start from page one and read on from there. I know some of you are going to LOVE it while others will think its a pot of snot!

Right, so are any of you who voted out there still stuck with the mark?! My word, the demonic wench who got hold of me on that day has managed to make my thumb look permanently dirty ... although I take great delight in the fact that her hands will definitely look worse than mine ever could (unless I dip them in a vat of this crap ink - yes its seriously like henna on crack!). And why would her hands look worse? Well, I swear her brightness was phenomenal ...... she wasn't wearing gloves and she DID look like she'd dipped her hands in a vat of the stuff. YUK! I hate politics ... it and all the demonic spawn that come along with it.

Anyway, that's enough of that crap. On to far more interesting tales......

I am reminded today why I love medication so much ... not for me, but for others. My boy was diagnosed with ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder) early last year. He had really been struggling with school work and wasn't coping at all. Well we had him assessed by a school psychologist and then also by our totally awesome pediatrician (he's a god I tell you ... more on that later) and it was decided after much research that we'd try him on Concerta. It worked out so well and his grades went up phenomenally. I, at times, forget how busy he is without his meds and am reminded on days like today why its good for him ... and for me. Today mommy had a very bright moment and forgot to give him his tablet .... poor boy .... poor mommy ... poor sisters! LOL! He just seems to have far more control over his emotions and attitude when he's on the meds. No emotional outbursts, no tantrums, no rude and irritating behavior. And then he's also just plain happier being on them. I know there's lots of interesting information about this condition out there, but I so trust my pediatrician about this. Here's a man that needs some mentioning....

Dr Christopher Pienaar who practices out of Die Boord, Stellenbosch, is (so far as I am concerned) a total god in the world of pediatrics. What an awesome man. I remember the first time I heard of him. A friend of mine had once again gone back to her local pediatrician (a man with the bed side manner of a warthogs ass) and was once again told her child had an ear infection. Walking off with a prescription for another dose of antibiotics she decided to try Chris for a second opinion. He is always very thorough in his examination and diagnosis. He took a look at little one and told mommy dearest that there was nothing wrong with this childs ears!!! He then went on to explain that most doctors, when not sure about what the problem could be (and with no patience to find out), call it an ear infection and prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic to kill off whatever the problem might actually be - this often works, and often doesn't. Needless to say she never went back to the old doctor again and has been with Chis ever since.

My first experience of Chris was when Ethan was a bit sick - he was suffering with severe stomach cramps and was just under the age of three at the time - not fun. Anyway, my kids (Danielle and Ethan - Raechel was under construction at the time) were terrified of doctors. The very idea of them would incapacitate them for days! Yes, the idea of using that as a scare tactic was very very tempting. So we arrive at his offices and walk into a room full of toys ... and the kids thought they had died and gone to heaven. When it was our turn to go in, we tunneled through the toys and ended up in a room that was also surrounded by toys. Chris was there, not wearing a white lab coat as most doctors tend to do, but in his jeans and plad shirt. He immediately put the kids at ease and they were chatting to him in no time ... even called him Uncle Chris! LOL! So now if they ever need to go to a doctor that's were I take them. Of course that's very seldom because as we all know, when you become mother to your second child you also get your medical degree and are able to medicate your kids yourself!!! What do you mean you didn't get one?! Best you go get a refund then dear......

Right ... now toddle off and go read that comic for a bit of a laugh and I'll catch up with you again later!

xxx
M

2 comments:

Skye said...

Hey Meegs!! I will check out the comic when I am not at work :))

So important to find a good pediatrician. Ours is a god as well, Dr Avoledo, absolutely brilliant, gentle, always available. I love him!

Caz said...

HALLOOOOOOO you haven't blogged since my frikken birthday and that was aaaaaaaaaages ago. Step it up lady! :)