Monday, June 15, 2009

Restaurant Review: Jimmy's Killer Prawns

For some people reading this it might be a surprise that I went to a restaurant that serves mainly fish because I don't generally allow it near me after some rather horrid experiences with it. Lets just say lock-jaw and food poisoning d0 NOT go down well.

Anyway, I've recently started hanging out with some fabulous people once a month for dinner at different restaurants - which is a lot of fun. This time around we went to Jimmy's Killer Prawns in Somerset West Main Road. It was a cool night so it was lovely to be seated so close to the fireplace. They do have a play area outside for children (although I didn't get to see it because it was cold and dark outside). The also have a play room for kids inside (that too I didn't get to see because - yay - I didn't have kids with me!).

We had a table of 14 people so we were quite rowdy - we were one of the first tables to arrive there and the last to leave. More on that bit later. The problem that some of the people had at the table was understanding the menu - not nuclear physics, but not exactly the most user friendly menu I've ever seen. Our food was not too bad. Since I don't eat fish, I had the lamb chops with a baked potato. It was delicious - the basting sauce they cooked them in was heavenly. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food. The dessert on the other hand was very disappointing. I love chocolate mousse ... its my favorite dessert. So I ordered one. It was not only runny and obviously far from set. It also tasted like one of those Moirs Instant Puddings. Some of the others had a chocolate brownie dessert which seemed to be much nicer from the small bit I managed to taste from my lovely neighbour. I do recall having a Dom Pedro with a double tot of Kahlua .... that was not too bad.

It must have been between 22h30 and 23h00 when we paid the bill and stayed sitting there chatting and laughing loudly. We were intrigued by a couple sitting in the bar area who were obviously very high on some illegal substance and were amazed that they actually were able to come out to eat at all. We were eventually the last table there and the staff were gathering in the bar area while the manager started flashing the lights in the restaurant ... a clear sign that we were now expected to leave. I was wondering how that manager would feel if one of us had pressed the emergency button on the alarm pad that was twinkling its lights at us so invitingly. The idea of him having to stay longer while he explained to the police that he had no emergency was enough to make us all grin after his rude display. Yet, it seems that none of us had the balls to do so. Oh well ... maybe next time ... NOT!

So all in all, the main course was good and the dessert was crap. I highly doubt I would ever eat there again as dessert is the most important part of a meal for me. However, the company was amazing as usual and I look forward to our next night out.
Jimmy's Killer Prawns gets a 2 out of 5 stars from me...

No comments: